- I’m not a fan of campsite shower blocks. Especially those with a sign asking you to keep the doors closed so that the pipes don’t freeze.
- The Maori name for New Zealand’s tallest mountain, Mt Cook, is Aoraki, which means cloud piercer. Apt.
- New Zealand’s museums and visitor centres are utterly fantastic.
- Sir Edmund Hillary took tinned pineapple and tractors to the Antarctic.
- Penguins are the only creatures other than humans that walk upright.
- Flip flops are called jandals in New Zealand.
- Maori women used to prove their bravery by tattooing themselves using charcoal and sharp thorns. It’s not a good idea to tell my children this.