1) Fire engines in Hawaii are yellow.
2) It’s impossible to spend more than ten minutes on Waikiki beach without being given something for free. So far we’ve accumulated a large bouncy ball, a mat, a boogie board, a gigantic rubber ring and four bucket and spade sets.
3) Playgrounds in Hawaii are rubbish.
4) Hawaii is one of the most culturally diverse places I’ve ever been. And I’m from London. You can eat French bread from a Vietnamese bakery, worship in a Samoan Jehovah’s Witness church and buy Barak Obama condoms from a Japanese pharmacy.
5) The only part of sea urchins that you eat are their gonads.
6) Betty Crocker isn’t a real person. Not a huge surprise, but still, another illusion shattered.
7) Hawaiian supermarkets have a lei (flower garland) fridge.