Here’s the thing, I’m very proud of my children’s ability to entertain themselves in an impressively imaginative way. I feel like I’m a good mother because I am encouraging their creativity. But they are also driving me mad. I’m not what you would call ‘good’ at housework. If I manage to put on a wash, wipe the kitchen surfaces and sweep the floor in one day then I’m very impressed with myself. And my children’s imaginations seems to create more housework than I can possibly cope with AND chat to my friends on Twitter.
Some examples of recent ‘games':
- They filled an empty bath with a whole bottle of shampoo then used it as an ice rink. I realise that this is easy to clean but it is a waste of a bottle of shampoo and also possibly rather dangerous.
- The 8 year old was asked to lay a fire (not light it before anyone tells me off). She took it upon herself to also sweep the chimney. Using her hands.
- The 5 year old was found making little piles of sunflower seeds in the corners of the upstairs landing. He was “feeding the cute little mice”. I should point out that we don’t have any pets.
- They spread the contents of their small sandbox over literally half of our garden then got towels from the bathroom so they could “sunbathe on the beach”.
- They stuck a whole roll of double sided sticky tape on the hall floor “to catch burglars”. I should never have let them watch Home Alone.
So, like I say, I think they are very inventive and love the fact that they get on so well. But I also wish they’d spend a bit more time doing jigsaws. Should I supervise them more? And if I do that, when am I ever going to put a wash on? Speaking of which…